Poppy Growers Tasmania Inc (PGT) is the peak poppy grower organisation in Tasmania charged with representing the interests of the state’s 850 poppy growers at all levels of industry and government – local, state, national and international.
PGT’s only source of funding is from voluntary growers levies and it represents approximately 85% of Tasmania’s poppy growers.
350 Full time employees by poppy companies
250 Full time employees by contractors, suppliers and advisors
600 Full time employees by farmers
1200 Full time equivalents
Value at farm gate in context of importance to Tasmania, poppies is the third most valuable land based undertaking next to dairy and beef.
Great emphasis is placed upon industry security that accords with the United Nations Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961 (as amended by the 1972 protocol).
- Updated paddock security signs;
- Poppy Industry Public Safety and Education Committee (PIPSEC);
- Website: www.notyouraveragepoppy.org.au;
- Overseas imports and growing on mainland Australia;
- Right to Farm Legislation;
- Poppy Tax;
- Medicinal Cannabis;
- Poppies – suitable land availability;
- PGT $64,000.00 contribution to the Downy Mildew Research Project by UTas and Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture. Total Project value – $320,000.